If you are an app developer then you would want to enable usb debugging on the Kindle Fire so you could test out the app. Unlike other Android device, the USB debugging option is not available from the settings menu so you can't do it from there.
We'll show you simple steps that you could follow to enable usb debugging. Here's how:
For MAC User
1. From the Home screen tap on the Quick Settings icon.
2. Next select More.
3. Select Device.
4. Switch on "Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources".
5. Next connect the Kindle Fire to the MAC.
6. Then use an editor to open the file ~/.android/adb_usb.ini.
7. Now you will need to add the Vendor ID text "0x1949" at the end of the file.
8. Save the adb_usb.ini file.
9. Then restart the adb server process with this command "adb kill-server" and "abd start-server". This will restart the process and read the new value from the file.
10. Now run "adb devices" to see your devices appears.
You may need to have your computer restart to see the changes.
For Windows users
Follow the above instruction and the adb_usb.ini file is located here:
1. Use a text editor and open the file adb_usb.ini. It's located at c:\Users\[Your-User-Name] \.android\adb_usb.ini.
2. Then add 0x1949 to the end of the file.
3. Next save the file.
4. Next you will need to edit the file android_winusb.inf file. Use a text editor and open up this file C:\Program Files
5. Under section [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] add the following:
6. Now save the and close the file.
When you connect the Kindle Fire to the PC, it will not recognize the device hardware so you will need to install the USB driver. Here's how:
1. Using the USB cable plugin the Kindle Fire to the computer.
2. The right click on My Computer from the Desktop > Select Manage > Device Manager.
3. Open Other devices on the right pane.
4. Right click Kindle > Update Driver Software.
5. The click on Browse my computer fro driver software.
6. Next click on Browse button, and find the file android_winusb.inf at C:\Program Files
7. Now click Next.
8. Select Install this driver software anyways.
9. Now check your Device Manager and see if you could see Android Phones > Android Composite ADB Interface.
10. Now you can restart the ADB Server to get an update.
11. Go to the folder android-sdk\platform-tools\.
12. Run adb kill-server.
13. Run adb start-server.
14. Run adb devices.